Everyone who visits New York City will quickly learn that there is a lot more to the Big Apple than the famous sights such as the Statue of Liberty and the Rockefeller Center. They quickly learn that New York is a Foodie Destination. According to US News Travel, New York City ranks the Best Foodie Destination in the USA.
Do you watch any of the Food Travel shows on Travel Channel or on Food Network such as Adam Richman (Man Finds Food and Man vs Food), Anthony Bourdain (Parts Unknown and No Reservations), Andrew Zimmern (Delicious Destinations and Bizarre Foods), or Guy Fieri (Grocery Games and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives)? They have all traveled to New York City and have all eaten at some of the best restaurants in the city. When my family and I travel, we always make it a point to eat at one of the famous restaurants that one of these travel stars has visited. We visited two such places in The Big Apple.
One of the restaurants my wife and I visited and ate dinner at was the famous Katz Delicatessen (or just Katz Deli). After seeing the video, you will likely want to do the same, and YES, the meat actually tastes as good as it looks, maybe even better. I don’t want to risk breaking any copyright laws, so please click here to see Adam Richman’s Man vs. Food clip where he visits Katz Deli. Katz Deli originally started in 1888 and was known as the “Iceland Brothers”, after Willy Katz joined the business in 1903, it was renamed “Iceland & Katz”, then eventually it became “Kat’z Deli” in 1910. The same recipes and cooking methods are used today that were used when it first opened.
When you order your food, you will notice the restaurant has a pretty large selection of meats from which to choose. The workers behind the counter are very friendly and they will give you samples of each meat to try before you buy. My wife and I chose to share the Pastrami sandwich. I still have yet to try a better pastrami than at Katz.
A few things to remembers on your visit to Katz Deli:
(1) Show up hungry, the portions are huges and the sandwichs contain almost a pound of meat
(2) Be prepared to wait for a table, this place is insanely popular
(3) Bring cash, Katz does not accept plastic, so go to an ATM and withdraw enough cash to pay for a meal BEFORE going to the restaurant. A combo meal is $24.95 plus tax for a sandwich, fries, and a drink. It’s a bit pricey, but worth every dollar you spend.
(4) Bring a camera, this place is famous and you will probably want to take pictures
(5) Do NOT try to sit at the When Harry Met Sally table.
Other than that, Bon Appetit!