The Louvre Art Museum is undoubtedly one of the most famous art museums in the world and one of the most famous landmarks in Paris. In fact when most people think of Paris, two landmarks likely come to mind; the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre. The Louvre is a very popular tourist definition, it’s very crowded, and it’s very large, but it’s also very beautiful and very much worth it to visit.
There are a quite a few types of art to view here including paintings, sculptures, and statues. I recommend seeing everything you can. If you’re in Paris for a week or longer, I recommend giving yourself at least whole day to visit this museum, maybe two days as it’s very large and it will take this much time to take in the whole museum.
A few other recommendations:
- Get there early as the lines to get in through security can become very long later in the morning
- Bring bottles of water with you as you will get thirsty throughout the tour
- Bring a camera, there are lots of photo opportunities within
- Try to visit on a week day, weekends are noticeably busier
- Even though the crowds are insane, make sure to visit the Mona-Lisa and don’t be afraid to push yourself through the crowd to the front, everyone else is doing it
- Watch for pick-pockets, especially in the crowded sections. Keep your wallet in your front pocket or don’t bring it at all if you can help it