If you are in Paris and you only have time to visit one tourist attraction, be sure to visit The Palace of Versailles. This tourist attraction is by far the best and most interesting place to visit in Paris, yes, even more than the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre. The Palace of Versailles has everything you look for in a tourist attraction. Do you like art? They have plenty of paintings and sculptures throughout. Do you like authentic baroque architecture? They have that. Do you like cathedrals? They have that. Do you like gardens? They have that as well.
The palace is huge, and it gets very crowded during peak season, which is summer. Some things to know and some suggestions before you visit the Palace of Versailles:
- It is recommended to show up before 9:00am as the lines to enter can get very long, in fact we showed up at 11:00am and waited almost 2 hours in line. Do you have a skip-the-line pass? Be sure to read the fine details, it may only allow you to skip the ticket line, which isn’t very long, but you still have to wait in line to enter the palace.
- Get up very early in the morning as the train ride to Versailles is long
- Bring lots of water, especially in the summer months when it can get hot and humid. Bring snacks in case you get hungry while waiting in line.
- Bring a camera as there are thousands of photo opportunities
- Bring patience and a good attitude as the the crowds can become unmanageable