Yellowstone National Park in my opinion is one of the most amazing places you can visit in America. It has geysers, rivers, unusual rock structures, wandering large animals, and an unparalleled beauty that is hard to find anywhere else. Yellowstone is a nature lover’s paradise and a hiker’s wonderland. Are you a photographer? Believe me there are plenty of sights here for you to take professional photographs. People from all over the world flock to this National Park because you just can’t find anything like it anywhere else.
If you live in the western half of the USA, I would highly recommend adding Yellowstone to your list of places to visit this year. If you live anywhere else in the USA or the world for that matter, add Yellowstone to your list of places to visit before you die. You will not regret it!
When is the best time to visit Yellowstone? If you don’t mind crowds, the summer is the best time to visit. Yellowstone is at a very high elevation, so summer is the only season that it’s not freezing cold. Still, summer nights can get cool, so bring a jacket if you’ll be camping out. Be sure to book your hotel or campground well in advance for summer visits as everything sells out early. If you don’t like large crowds, the fall and late spring are the best time to visit, but BUNDLE UP!! Even as early as October you will see over night low temps dip down into the teens and 20s.
A few other helpful tips to remember on your visit to Yellowstone:
- Bring plenty of water and food on your daytime excursion through the park as some sections of the park are a couple hours from civilization.
- Bear encounters are common, if you’ll be hiking, make sure to make plenty of noise and bring bear-spray with you. Hike in groups of 3 or more
- Never approach any of the wandering animals, especially the bears, wolves, or the bison. Bison may look like gentle giants, but they are anything but gentle if you piss them off
- Start your day in the park early, it always takes a lot longer to visit the desired attractions in the park
- If you are coming into the park from the west, the town of West Yellowstone, Montana is the best place to book a hotel, or you can camp in the park at one of the many campsights
- Take lots of pictures and take videos. There are lots of photo and video opportunities here
Follow these tips and this will be an unforgettable vacation, most likely one of your favorite! Enjoy!